Monday, September 16, 2013

I'm in Layton, Utah! Yayy!

My first night out in the field I was in Centerville and I loved the area so much .... it was all cute little Mormon families, and I was with a fantastic companion; I was really sad to leave. My very first night we had ... get this: 2 dinner appointments and a dessert appointment. And people are correct when they say you can't turn that down. So we taught a lesson to an investigator, they offered us huge sugar cookies. Went to our dinner appointment, went to a YW activity where they fed us dinner and dessert, then went to a dessert appointment with an investigator. That's a total of 2 full dinners and 3 desserts in one night. And it is impossible to turn people down! Especially investigators... Then they moved me up to a trio of sisters in Layton and this is where I will be for the next 6 weeks for sure, probably 12+ weeks realistically though. This whole mission is a fully referral mission, no proselyting is allowed. so it's almost all reactivation, working with part member families, excommunicated families etc. I really like it so far! The YW here have like 5 active girls and 20 inactive; it's crazy.

We are living with a lady who works in California and is only home a couple days a month. She lives in a really nice town home so we are lucky we have it to ourselves most of the time! The first day we were cleaning the bathrooms because they were disgusting... I literally just dumped every cleaner I could find in the toilet and then realized I had mixed bleach with this cleanser that said all over the bottle, "DON'T MIX WITH BLEACH- TOXIC FUMES" and I started freaking out and the house reeked like a meth house or something... Seriously I've never prayed so hard in my life. But we lived, so it's okay!

We don't have a car in Layton like we did in Centerville... so we're walking. Oh mom, can you money from my savings into checking? I might need to buy a bike... ugh. Hopefully we should get a car next week. Oh, there's this apartment complex in our area that's full of all these troubled inactive teenagers with drug addict parents. So we spend a lot of time trying to talk to people there. The other day we were talking to this black kid and he's like, "I'll tell you what.... I'll let you teach me all your lessons and I'll go back to church if I can have your number," so my companion's like, okay, here's our number. And he's like, "no, I want HER number," and we just like looked at each other and it was awkward and then we just laughed and he was like, "don't you guys get taught 'flirt to convert?' I'm down for that!" It was funny... hahah! But we're actually making good progress with him; he said a really good prayer in the middle of the basketball courts saying he was grateful for his Nikes and Kanye West! We get a lot of rides from nice members so I barely do any walking. Also we got caught in the rain the other day... my shoes were soaking wet all day, I'm so scared my feet will mold like missionaries in the Phillippines. or I'll get athletes foot. That was 2 days ago and my shoes are still damp.... what do I do? It's sicking me out.

Sorry I couldn't reply to everyone; hope you're all doing well! Yay Daddy for almost being done with radiation, good job getting a date Kla, and for the nutcracker thing... thanks Rob for the card, and tell Claire and Anna I said good job in life!

If you want to send me stuff, it would probably be best just to send it straight to the town house I'm in... I'll let you know when I get transferred but it won't be for a long time. like probably December. I have a ton of ideas of stuff Dad could get me for Christmas, I'll let you know.

Here's my address (google map it, it's a cute house)

1054 W. 975 N
Layton, UT 84041





No comments:

Post a Comment