Family,
Good to hear everything's going well! I'm glad Anna hasn't quit volleyball, she should stick with it. I just want to let you know that I do read the stuff you send me, I just don't always have the time or want to take the effort to reply to it all... sorry.
This week? Our golden investigator, Amanda, really is golden. We watched the Emma Smith movie with her this week and she loved it. We do this thing every Sunday where we get up really early and make rounds to all of our investigators to try to get them to church, especially our young black guys who are punks and don't want to get up for their 9:00 church. So we go bang on their doors at 8 am until they come open the door, start the shower for them, lay out their church clothes, make them breakfast, set it out for them all nicely on the counter (side note- when I make them breakfast my comps were teasing me that I cook too healthy... so now they make me fry everything in oil and add tons of butter like they do, it grosses me out. So yesterday I made pancakes with egg yolks, put tons of butter in the pan, made bacon and used the grease to cook hash browns and then smothered everything in syrup and then everyone was happy... I almost threw up) and then they usually come to church! So we do that for CJ and Claud, then we go to Marcella's (the one whose hair I did) and help her get her kids ready, etc... then we call Amanda and asks if she needs any help and she always says they woke up early and are ready to go! She really, legit, loves church. No one in the ward really talks to her because they think she's already a member. She has the gospel library on her nook and follows along with all the manuals and dresses like a Mormon (even though remember, she is the ex-stripper) and dresses her kids all nice... then when they pass around the meal list for people to feed us, she signs up even though she feeds us ALL the time. She really is golden!
Wanna hear something funny? So one of our bishop's wives is a total grumpy, grouchy, awesomely hilarious lady... example: I said, "Hi, Sister Boudreo, how was your week?" She replies, "it was hell, what do you think?" Hahah, she just says stuff like that and she's so mean to everyone, it's awesome. Well, yesterday at church I was with Amanda and she went and sat down right next to the bishop's wife. I got a little bit concerned, but whatever. In Relief Society they were passing around this sign up sheet for people who wanted to substitute in Primary and Amanda turns to the bishop's wife and asks what it is... bishop's wife looks at her like she's stupid and goes, "trust me Hon, you don't want that," snatches it from her hands and passes it on. Amanda looked like she was about to cry, it was so funny! I love bratty people, ya know? Anyways, Amanda is marvelous. Please pray for her though, she has a loser boyfriend who's trying to bring her down. We can't put her on date for baptism yet because he still technically lives with her, even though she keeps the law of chastity! We taught her a dang good lesson, she's never gonna break that one, hahah! Oh and the other day we were leaving her house to go to other appointments and she fist pumps the air and yells "CONVERT!" It was so funny, hahah - especially because a couple weeks ago she hated us and hated Mormons. So my companions say that I do really well with girls ages 14-30 (I mean I do....) and so they always make me talk to them. We are trying to get this single mom named Nikki to take the lessons from us so we go over there yesterday to help her make dinner... it was going to be tough because she's strong baptist and doesn't really like missionaries. As soon as we get there Sister H and Sister P go, "well, you got this, we're going out back to play with the kid" and they left me in the kitchen with her for the next hour! I was kinda mad but it's true, they screw stuff up when trying to get girls that age to trust us. They do better with old people... I do NOT. When we talk to old people I wanna lose my mind, I don't know why, haha. But anyways, things went well with Nikki, she's almost there! Pray for her as well.
Things I've learned about people:
-most people don't cook healthy, the more bacon and butter and oil and cheese the better (blek)
-Sister missionaries are so snoopy and gossipy... like, just stop please
-12 weeks with the same 2 females is really too long
-I'm not "chill" with guys 25 years old, they think I'm a goody-two-shoes and call me Princess. They don't listen to a word I say, hahah
Every second Sunday of the month, there's a family in the stake that has a huge dinner for literally anyone who wants to come. Members in the neighborhood, non members, recent converts, anyone. They have us come and bring people, then share a scripture. It's a great missionary opportunity for the neighborhood and it's SO fun. She posts about it on her blog and there's always pictures if you want to check it out, amothersshadow.com
Thanks for being great, have a wonderful week!
Sister Heidi Shields
No comments:
Post a Comment