-Me and Sister H had an open house for one of our church buildings. It's the 2nd oldest church in Utah that is still in use. It has a creepy basement and fireplaces in all the rooms and a trap door that led to the previously used baptismal font. I kid you not. We decided we could use this historical building as leverage to get people to invite their neighbors. We did tours of the building, with a person from RS, primary, YW, priesthood etc., standing in the corresponding room and explaining what the organization is and does for like 30 seconds. In between rooms, Sister H and I pointed out the artwork on the wall and rearranged the pictures so they flowed with the first lesson... we explained the resurrection, Christ being baptized, Joseph Smith, etc. and then bore a quick testimony of each one. Not gonna lie- it was awesome. We ended in the chapel where one of the bishops explained the sacrament. Then they went in the cultural hall and made ice cream sundaes. It was a HUGE success-- thanks to our senior full time couple who advertised for us. We had multiple less-actives and about 10 nonmembers come. Because it was so short and sweet, (each tour was about 15 minutes) the people loved it. We haven't gotten any new investigators out of it so far, but there are some promising ones! Yes yes, I know we are smart successful missionaries...... what can I say.
Funny thing though ... Rich and his kids came. His kids LOVE me, right? So they were following me like lost puppies. So I was talking with this sweet old black baptist lady and she sees the boys tugging on me and pulling on me and hugging my legs and what not... she goes, "your boys are SO precious- they look just like you! How old are they?" Uh........ #1-MISSIONARY- that basically means Mormon nun, lady. She obviously doesn't know what missionaries do.... #2- Rich's ex-wife is Hispanic.... which means his kids are half Hispanic.... uhh. Anyways so after that, Tyler and Josh were telling everyone, "a lady asked if Sister Shields was my mom! I wish you were my mom, Sister Shields...." They are so cute, I don't think you understand... they are PERFECT kids. And Rich told me we do look similar- he asked if I have some blood in me that's not white... do you know what I said? This is embarrassing but here's what I said... "well my boyfriend's half Chilean and my great-grandma was born in Mexico" (ps are you proud of me that I remembered that? I've been doing some serious fam history). Can you believe I said that? Like am I retarded? Apparently..... but they got a kick out of it and have been bringing it up ever since to mock me.
-Felt my first earthquake! It was life threatening- my bottle of catwalk salt spray legit fell off the windowsill.
-Sister H is an angel. I love her and we get along so well. This is the longest either of us has been with one companion and the first time we've had a comp who's not a trainee. Well, except for the time I was with Sister C for the worst 6 weeks of my life... I mean.... what? We have a lot in common and we are both brats... example- we had a last minute leadership meeting in SLC on Saturday morning and had to miss a ward breakfast for it. I texted the AP's back and said, "we will be in attendance. But we are missing a ward breakfast with potential investigators present- this meeting better be catered by IHOP." He responded, "sorry- we booked Denny's weeks ago- thanks for your dedication to missionary work sisters." In the meeting that day... both the AP's and president brought it up at least 3 times, hahah they thought it was so funny! But they also gave the credit to Sister H .... because she's the one that usually says stuff like that... basically everyone hates us. Oh well, we're still at the top of the mission food chain. Sorry, I'm done. I'll repent.
Also... she's getting kind of trunky..... and it's making me kinda trunky.... like it's a problem. We still work hard and are obedient and what not... but she's planning out BYU in the fall and talking about music and shopping and boys and it's really hard for me! Like- I still have 8 months left!! To answer Mom's question about transfers- I have no idea what will happen. I will probably stay with Sister H here until she leaves on July 22, but then after that I'll either get released as an STL and train a new missionary (the "flood" is about to come in from all the new missionaries that graduated this year) or get put with another STL comp. I'll probably for sure stay in this stake for at least another 2 or 3 transfers though.
-We taught Primary yesterday in Rich's ward....
Me: "so if God is our Heavenly Father, and Jesus is his son, what does that make Jesus?"
Josh (6): "Sister Shields, call on me- I know! OUR STEPFATHER!"
The girl next to him: "yeah, our stepfather!"
.............. yeah--close, kids!
How sad is it that in this generation a 6-year-old's normal vocabulary and frame of mind include the word "stepfather."
-Our stake president is wonderful..... but really intimidating. He gets the work done and his whole life is missionary work.... but at the same time, every time I'm around him I feel like I'm walking on tip toe and trying to be perfect so he doesn't chew me out. It's really stressful and I do not like it. Great to have a supportive stake president... not so great when they scare the living daylights out of you. To make matters worse, I've been here a month now and he still forgets my name. Everyone here loves Sister H and looks at me like I'm pond scum and don't know anything... I'm not kidding. He doesn't talk to me or even glance at me in coordination meetings. I'm trying so hard to do things right and prove I'm a good missionary but nothing's working. that's the hardest thing about this area right now.
-Last night we made s'mores at Rich and Lorie's (because I LOVE s'mores) and the sprinklers kept coming on us like every 10 minutes.... it was miserable. Anyways- that's what that picture is that I sent. Rich got like 5 of me and Lorie, and in every single one I'm giving someone a death glare. Sorry I don't try to!!! But it's kind of a funny picture, hahah.
-Teaching a boyfriend and girlfriend who live together, named Carson and Ashley. Carson's not a member and Ashley is less active. They are SO fun! Sister H thinks Carson's a punk (he is) and Ashley's a drama queen ditz (she kinda is), so we go on splits for their lessons and I teach them. They really like me and I LOVE them! Hornberger says I can relate to them and get along with them and I'm exactly what they need. She's taught them for months but they have never progressed very much. Ashley is such a cutie and she's so fun. She reminds me SO MUCH of Lauren- she laughs like her and says comments that are just like something Lauren would say. It makes me so happy- I miss Lauren so much! They are so fun and I hope they get married so Carson can get baptized. They came to church for the first time in months and I take credit for that.
-I love being a missionary. I love the feeling of helping someone learn to love the gospel and see the difference it makes in their life. I love working hard and being tired. I love eating healthy so I can focus on the work. I love learning to have fun and work at the same time. I love working with cute couples like Carson and Ashley who are exactly like my friends at home and seeing them be happy. I hate living "p-day to p-day," like me and Sister H say... but what can you do?
-Last night we made s'mores at Rich and Lorie's (because I LOVE s'mores) and the sprinklers kept coming on us like every 10 minutes.... it was miserable. Anyways- that's what that picture is that I sent. Rich got like 5 of me and Lorie, and in every single one I'm giving someone a death glare. Sorry I don't try to!!! But it's kind of a funny picture, hahah.
-Teaching a boyfriend and girlfriend who live together, named Carson and Ashley. Carson's not a member and Ashley is less active. They are SO fun! Sister H thinks Carson's a punk (he is) and Ashley's a drama queen ditz (she kinda is), so we go on splits for their lessons and I teach them. They really like me and I LOVE them! Hornberger says I can relate to them and get along with them and I'm exactly what they need. She's taught them for months but they have never progressed very much. Ashley is such a cutie and she's so fun. She reminds me SO MUCH of Lauren- she laughs like her and says comments that are just like something Lauren would say. It makes me so happy- I miss Lauren so much! They are so fun and I hope they get married so Carson can get baptized. They came to church for the first time in months and I take credit for that.
-I love being a missionary. I love the feeling of helping someone learn to love the gospel and see the difference it makes in their life. I love working hard and being tired. I love eating healthy so I can focus on the work. I love learning to have fun and work at the same time. I love working with cute couples like Carson and Ashley who are exactly like my friends at home and seeing them be happy. I hate living "p-day to p-day," like me and Sister H say... but what can you do?
Sister Shields
![]() |
| Making s'mores at Rich & Lorie's - is this the funniest picture or what? I promise I wasn't trying to give a death glare! |

No comments:
Post a Comment