Let me sum it up..... we did a fun zone activity and carved pumpkins. Our zone leaders are really nice and respect the sisters and that's a good thing.
We're teaching this ghetto black guy who's really rough around the edges... his name is Robert but he goes by Superman. I'm not kidding- it's like the name on his mail and everything. He loves the gospel though! He accepted baptism for December 20th. We decided it would have to be pretty far off because he's got a lot to change in his life ... plus he might have some legal problems. He came to church for the first time this week and absolutely 200% loved it. He was talking to everyone and introducing himself and commenting in class and nodding his head and agreeing to everything- it was so funny. The poor girl who we asked to give him a ride though.... it's hard to get people to church in the wards that meet at the U because it's a decently long trip (like 10 minutes) and a lot of the people we teach don't have cars because they're poor and young and ghetto. The girl we asked to take him was scared to be in the car with just her and him so she brought her boyfriend haha, I don't blame her ... anyways Superman (Robert) loved church! His ward has a bunch of cute girls in it too so that might be it... but afterwards I asked about his baptism date and he said, "Can't we move it up? Like ASAP? I want to be a part of this!" So we'll see how it goes.
Sometimes I wish we had a camera filming us all day for a missionary reality TV show. I want to replay it in 5 years and I know I'd look back and go ... "We ENTERED that house?!" "We taught a house full of meth addicts about the gospel?!" I'm not gonna lie, it's really sketch sometimes! But we're not scared- we have no fear, it's awesome haha. And those are the people that need the gospel the most! Also it's kinda weird, sometimes dinner appointments feel like dates ... one dinner this week took us to Chuck-A-Rama and it was me and Sister Tranchina and 2 guys... it legit felt like a date. #YSA probs.
This week I've really realized how much the Lord's hand is in everything. The conversations I'll have with my companion about like, "what if this happened" or, "isn't this scripture cool?" later that day we'll meet someone on the street (BTW this week we had 47 street contacts- like people we talked to on the street and got their number or set up a return appointment. That's a LOT. I love the city!) or teach a lesson or something and that same subject will come up. Or I'll have a thought and then it totally prepares me for something later that day. It's really cool how revelation works. I've been thinking a lot about how to help friends at home and less actives we work with ... like, what can I possibly say to make them realize how important this is? I think the main thing is the Holy Ghost. The Holy Ghost and personal revelation are awesome! In order to have that gift with us, we have to be going to church and repenting. I'm so grateful for personal revelation ... I've never seen that more in my entire life than right now. The Holy Ghost literally has a part in every single little thing we do. Discernment, questions, guidance, truth, memories, scripture study, how to tell if someone's creepy or lying, what to study in school, etc. everything! And it's not with you if you're living the party life \m/. Example.... this week we taught this 22 year old named Kenny. It was the first lesson so we planned to teach the restoration and commit to baptism like a usual first lesson. He was wearing a hat, and I just kept thinking - I don't think he has any hair... (wait for it- that has a point hahah) but as we were talking to him and I was looking at him..... he was saying how he wishes he knew his purpose in life and why things happen, and what's happening after this life, and how he doesn't know really anything about God or Christ. I realized- 1) he needs the plan of salvation lesson 2) he needs the atonement 3) he has cancer. He didn't say any of those things; he had Wiz Khalifa (rap singer) on the wall for goodness sake... but I could like, feel what he was going through. Sister Tranchina started the restoration and I stopped her and pulled out our plan of salvation pamphlet. We just taught Christ and the atonement and it was awesome and perfect for him. He never said anything about his cancer, but I know that's what was on his mind. He feels lost and alone and scared. It was probably the coolest lesson I've ever had. And I love him- he's so precious. and he listens to good music.
Something else funny this week ... we were trying to get to know our investigator better and asking each other questions:
Mario: what's your favorite animal, Sister Shields?
Me: Honestly, I don't really like animals ...
Sister Tranchina: She likes purses!!!
Mario: Oh ... well, your purse is nice ...
HAHAHA!
That's it.... today for a zone activity we're having a cultural party and eating legit ethnic food because our zone's full of Ukranians and Asians and Europeans and Mexicans. Sweet. Have a good Halloween everyone!
Heidi
No comments:
Post a Comment