Thursday, January 16, 2014

Day 3 as a trainer

Family,

Hello!  I'm on day 3 with my trainee ... her name is Sister H and she is very sweet.  I'm trying very hard to make her feel welcomed and loved and comfortable.  Her first day was really hard and she almost started crying a couple times, it was so sad!  I wanted so badly to help her but I couldn't get her to open up and tell me what was wrong ... finally she said she didn't even want to serve a mission in the first place.  She's just here because her friends and family pushed her to either go on a mission or go to college.  She's really homesick and just was really struggling.  I've tried really hard to help her see that the mission is fun and if she keeps busy, she won't have time to get homesick.  I love being a trainer.  I love being in charge and working hard.  I love the responsibility and I realized the other day, I love the mission - finally!  The people here are wonderful and I have this new mindset of thinking - what new friends can we make today?  What friends can we see and help and have fun with?  It doesn't feel like a drag anymore ... I'm not anxious about getting home anymore.  I just love it here.  I want to help Sister H feel that too!  I've really been keeping the schedule full so she sees how important it is to work.  We share messages and prayers with every house we go into; we don't waste time and we are prompt to every appointment.  Lessons are well planned and organized.  I love being in charge!

You know what else?  My comp is completely different from me ... we have nothing in common.  she likes Korean anime and eats American cheese (EW).  But I LOVE her!  I'm so excited to get to work.  I'm just hoping the work picks up and we find lots of people to teach and keep our schedules full!

My favorite people in this area are 1) Holly (30-year-old single mom; daughter of the family we live with).  She does hair and she's so cute and sweet and asks me for advice on stuff.  2) Brother Lovato - ward mission leader whose house we skyped from on Christmas.  He is SO funny and awesome and blunt with people.  3)  President Johnson - former mission president; just finished last term being mayor after 12 years.  He's so funny; he cusses sometimes and jokes around with us all the time.  4)  Kim B and her family.  We're teaching Delaney (daughter, 13) and she's going to be baptized this month.  The family's inactive but Kim is always texting me, asking about scriptures, etc.  One day, I WILL get her to church!

Love,
Heidi

No comments:

Post a Comment