Daddy -
I thought I would write you some cool mission stories just for fun! I might have told you some of these already ... But oh well.
In Layton ... we were out contacting people in the basketball court one day and ran into a guy named Marauis. He agreed to take the lessons and gave us his address. A couple days later we decided to stop by and ask him when we could come back and teach him. So a black guy opens the door ... I, being stupid, just started talking, going on and on and on ... "can we come back tomorrow and teach you?" He looked all confused but accepted. I asked how to spell his name and he goes, "C-H-R-I-S." What?! This was definitely NOT the same guy we'd had that really good conversation with a couple days earlier! I didn't know how to be like, "so, uhh .... where's Marauis?"
We were totally NOT expecting him to show up at that appointment. We were having a really bad day and decided to go get ice cream. We were running late to the appointment already and didn't think it was even worth showing up for. My comp goes, "wait - what if he's ready?! What if it IS his time?" So we went over. He did remember about the appointment. We taught him the first lesson and he accepted baptism right then and there! CRAZY! He's now engaged and preparing to go through the temple (in 4 months). Yay!
We were trying to teach a girl named Amanda the importance of the Word of Wisdom. She was also struggling with making a big decision in her life. We told her one of the best places to receive answers is during sacrament meeting while they're blessing the sacrament. She was SO excited to try it out! She come into 9:00 church that Sunday and she looked terrible. She sat next to me and told me she'd been partying the night before and was super hung over. The talks in church that day were so perfect for her - like PERFECT. Someone told their conversion story and how they were baptized ... like, it was just good. She turned to me at the end of the meeting and says, "that was really good. I didn't feel anything though. I guess that's why there's the Word of Wisdom; it blocks the spirit." Ding ding!! She stopped drinking after that, yay!
Butch was like 80 years old and had been going to church for 5 years straight but refused to get baptized because of his smoking problem. He'd had multiple sets of missionaries who'd tried everything to help him quit. One day in a lesson we shared Alma 7:11 with him. A couple days later, he told us he'd quit smoking. When we asked him how, she said he memorized that scripture and recited it in his head every time he was tempted to smoke!
Delaney is 14 and knew nothing about the church. Nothing. We went to temple square with her around Christmas time and we were looking up at the Christus. She turned to me and said, "if we get perfect bodies when we're resurrected, why did Christ still have scars?" I can't remember what I said, but she added, "I guess that just goes to show that he literally gave up everything for us."
I already told you the story of Brody and Tara and the Book of Mormon. And multiple times we've gone to visit someone and they've driven up like right as we drive up - when we've been there like 50 times and no one has ever answered the door. Weird cool stuff like that happens all the time! Well, that's all I can think of for now. Happy Birthday!
Love, Heidi
No comments:
Post a Comment